Hanukkah Day 5/Erev Rosh Hodesh Ha'Asiri 5768
There is an expression of sorts:
"Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it."
Well, I happened to have mentioned to Jacob Da Jew, and a few other bloggers that I would not actually mind being "tagged" to do a meme.
Jacob took me up on that, and "shmagged" me, which I suppose is something like being "tagged." Well, that's how I intend to interpret it.
Of course, knowing MY luck, I get tagged for a very loooooooong meme, you know the "Number 8" one that's been going around.
Why 8, and not 5 or 10? I don't know.
But, here are some interesting notes on the number 8:
I was born on the 8th day of the Sixth Month (Ellul).
The gematriah qetanah of my full name is 8.
As 7 in the number of Shabbath, 8 is the number of Mossa'ei Shabbath (Saturday night), as well as HaOlam HaBa (The World To Come).
And, of course, this post is written during Hanukkah, which has 8 days.
8 passions in my life:
- Authentic Judaism
- The Beach
- Meeting New People
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
8 Things to do before I die:
- Get married
- Have children
- Write a book
- Publish said book
- Complete the Ramba"m's Mishnah Torah with Rav Yosef Qafah's ztz"l perush
- Achieve spiritual maturity
- Own my own home
- Write another book
8 Things that I say often:
- Right (alla Dr. Evil in "Austin Powers")
- What's up?
- By the way...
- Um,..'K (alla Kyle from "South Park")
- Mah Nishma'? (Heb.: "What's up?")
- Slihah (Heb.: "Please, get out of my way.")
- Nu. b'Emet! (Heb.: "Oh, puh-lease!")
- K'ilu (Heb.: "like")
8 books I read recently:
(The answer to this can be found in my cool, "Good Reads" widget. It actually lists 20 books. In the event the widget is being insolent, you can view the 8 most recent books I read in the comments section.)
I thought Jacob might be interested in Good Reads. He [and you] can click on my Good Reads Profile above, join in, and add me as a friend.
8 Songs that mean something to me:
- Roam - The B-52's, 1990
- Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode, 1990 (video)
- Never Let Me Down - Depeche Mode, 1987
- It's A Wonderful Life - Black, 1987
- Shake The Disease - Depeche Mode, 1985
- The Power Of Love - Frankie Goes To Hollywood, 1984
- The Look Of Love - ABC, 1982
- Poison Arrow - ABC, 1982
8 things I look for in a friend:
- Hold a decent and intelligent conversation
- Have something in common with me
- Doesn't take my inventory (heshbon nefesh)
- Doesn't use the word "should" with me
- Doesn't take crap from me
- Is a Virgo, Capricorn, or Pisces (not a hard & fast rule)
I think I'll just let others "shmag" themselves.