Friday, May 23, 2008

I Can't Believe I Did This!

Erev Shabbath Qodesh Parshath Behuqothai 5768

Last Sunday night after a shi'ur in Jerusalem, I was offered a tremp (ride) home on the back of my neighbor Ariel's motor scooter (model pictured).

Someone else who was at the shi'ur wanted to know what the big deal was. I explained to him that I lived near Shchem, and that the route sometimes entails the dodging of rocks, bullets, and Molotov Coctails. He understood. Ariel reassured me that Arabs tended not to throw rocks at night. How reassuring.

Batya will tell you how she has walked from Shilo to Jerusalem. Shilo residents hold an annual march in memory of Avihu Keinan HY"D who was killed in action. But this march is held during the day, and I believe with some kind of IDF protection,...along with several Shilonim who would not hesitate to after any Arab who tried anything.


I myself have walked from Tapu'ah to Rehlim several times, and from Eli to Shilo. (Click map to enlarge.)

But, I digress....

I don't know what I was thinking, but I said yes to Ariel's offer. I figured that I could always change my mind along the way, and continue the journey by catching regular tremps. My main concern turned out to be the cross winds, which I am still not sure were there, or just my perception of them. Not only were they cold, but I was also worried that we would be blown over. I was also concerned about some Arab running us off the road, especially in Vadi Kharamiah, the valley between Ofra and Shilo where cell phone reception is minimal at best, preventing any calls for assistance.

Needless to say, I survived the trip. (Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to be writing this right now.) I'm glad I made the trip, for the experience. Although I can't promise I'd do it again. I don't know how many Jews can say that they have ridden through the Lands of Binyamin and Efraim on a motor scooter.

It was an opportunity to face my some of irrational fears, and assert a Jewish presence in these parts of the Land of Israel,...in my own personal way.

Meanwhile....

* The YeSh"A Council is selling out the very Judea and Samaria it created itself to protect. One of its members attacked teenage boys last week for exercising their free-speech, then LIE about it to rabbis like Rabbi Dov Lior so that they can sneakily put his signature on one of their posters condemning the same boys that were attacked.

* Israeli Prime Minister Sm-Olmert wants to give the Golan Heights to Syria, even though he said he would never do such a thing two years ago.

* The burning of New Testaments distributed by missionaries caused an uproar amongst leftists, comparing it to activities in 1930's Germany. A platform was given to missionary lawyers to further their message of encouraging Jews to practice avodah zarah. This goes fight along with their special, five-year evil program in Israel.


The troubles we are experiencing can be so overwhelming at times. I often feel like "I am not doing enough." Once in a while I have to focus on the positive experiences in our troubled Land, even if it's just a [not so] simple ride on a motor bike.

1 comment:

Devorah Chayah said...

Glad you made it home safely.

You Might Also Like...