Sunday, May 10, 2009

Yahoo!'s GeoCities To Close Later This Year

17 of the Second Month 5769

A while ago, I opened up my GeoCities account to find the message below. For years I have used GeoCities as place to store images for my blog and elsewhere on the Web.





Important Announcement


After careful consideration, Yahoo! has decided to close GeoCities later this year.

You can continue enjoying your GeoCities service until then — we just wanted you to let you know about the closure as soon as possible. We'll share more details this summer. For now, please visit the help center for more information.


And so, I have begun the painstaking process of transferring all of my graphics to Picasa, a Google product, and then changing the image location links throughout much of my HTML code.

I have started with my sidebar, and after that, intend to work my way back through previous posts, unless of course, any of my fellow bloggers can come up with a better idea, and I certainly hope that you do.

1 comment:

Cosmic X said...

Wow!

That is kind of sad. Geocities made history by giving the opportunity for anybody and everybody to post stuff on the web.

Times have changed.

Bye-bye Geocities.

You Might Also Like...