Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sukkoth Wrap-Up: No Karliner YouTube Channel Yet

24 of the Seventh Month 5770

When I go out for Simhath Beth HaSho'evah, I always try to make it to Karlin-Stolen. in the Beis Yisroel neighborhood in Jerusalem (...conveniently located a block away from the cheapest, least worst, pizza place in Israel. But, I digress....).

Unlike Vizhnitz-B'nei Braq, I was unable to find a Karlin-Stolen YouTube Channel. Perhaps there's one on another video service. I don't know.

You see, I didn't make it to Karlin this year. It's always leibadik, and absent both of the food-fressing balaganim of some locales, and of the cliquishness of some yeshivas,...which shall remain nameless.

Karlin's Simhath Beth HaSho'evah is very no-nonsense, with nice, live music, dancing, and soft drinks to quell the heat. Here's a clip from two years ago. Notice the mix of hassidim, Litvaks, and religious Zionist types,...all dancing together? Karlin is known for its very welcoming atmosphere, in the true spirit of Ahduth Yisra'el (Jewish Unity).

It has even been criticized for this, as some secular Jews drive on Shabbath to get to the Rebbe's tish. (If they're going to drive anyway, better to a rebbe's tish than to a night club, no?)

Don't tell anyone, though. We're not allowed to point out anything positive about hassidim, let alone haredim as a whole.

Whoops. I almost forgot. I'm not a member of the "mainstream" (leftist and/or anti-haredi) news media, so, I don't have to hold by that rule.

Don't hold your breath. I hardly see myself becoming a Karliner Hassid. Still, I like to give credit where credit is due.

Enjoy!



No comments:

You Might Also Like...