Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Depeche Mode's "Enjoy The Silence" And Holding Ones Tongue

י"ב לחודש האחד עשר תשע"ג

The lyrics to Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" are found below after the video box.  Many have called this song one of Depeche Mode's trademark songs.

I suggest that there are hints to the Laws of Guarding the Tongue.

I believe that these hints are in the form of hakhmah (wisdom), hakhmah worthy of our attention.

I did not go through any body of halakhah (Jewish Law) vis-a-vis the lyrics, which records the Laws of Guarding the Tongue such as the Hofetz Hayim or the Mishneh Torah of the Ramba"m.  When going through the lyrics, I only made a few common sense notes here and there.

I believe that you will get the idea.

Warning: This video was filmed on top of one of the World Trade Center towers.  So, if you find this to be kind of creepy, or if this bothers you in any other way, you can easily find another version on your favorite video hosting site.


Dave Gahan-Lead Vocals, Martin Gore-Guitar,  
Andy Fletcher-Keyboards (short hair), Alan Wilder-Keyboards (long hair)

ENJOY THE SILENCE
Martin Gore, 1989

Words like violence 
Break the silence 
Come crashing in 
Into my little world 
Painful to me 
Pierce right through me 
Can't you understand 
Oh my little girl 

All I ever wanted 
All I ever needed 
Is here in my arms 
Words are very unnecessary 
They can only do harm 

Vows are spoken 
To be broken 
Feelings are intense 
Words are trivial 
Pleasures remain 
So does the pain 
Words are meaningless 
And forgettable 

All I ever wanted 
All I ever needed 
Is here in my arms 
Words are very unnecessary 
They can only do harm

Enjoy the silence 

*Lyrics obtained from Lyrics Freak

Words like violence...painful to me, pierce right through me
Words can be hurtful...  "Sticks and stone make break my bones, but names can kill me."


Vows are spoken, to be broken,...words are trivial
Talk is cheap.  It is more important to walk the walk, than to talk the talk. (See below)
Words are meaningless, and forgettable
Actions speak louder than words.

Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm

And something else comes to mind...
 משנה אבות א,טז  [יז] שמעון בנו אומר, כל ימיי גדלתי בין החכמים, ולא מצאתי לגוף טוב אלא שתיקה; ולא המדרש הוא העיקר, אלא המעשה; וכל המרבה דברים, מביא חטא

Minshnah Avoth 1:16 [17] Shimon his son says: All my days I have been raised among the Sages, and I found nothing better for oneself than silence; not study, but practice is the main thing; and one who talks excessively brings on sin.
Just my Esser Agaroth (2¢)....

No comments:

You Might Also Like...