Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jerusalem In The Snow

ערב שבת קודש פר' וארא
ערב ראש החודש האחד עשר תשע"ג
The city started shutting down yesterday afternoon, on orders of Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barakat. I must admit that it was probably a good idea, cutting down on traffic accidents, and possibly saving money in the long run.  Those who saw the snow come and go yesterday, never sticking to the ground are probacbly now appreciative of theis move on the mayor's part.

Unlike New York, Chicago, The occurrence of snow in the Holy City is so rare that is does not pay to invest in the equipment and people power necessary to keep the city open.  Although I have been told that the City does own six snow plows, in addition to plows which can be attached to almost any vehicle.

Many of us got the day off, given the option to work from home, or even told that they had no option, and had to work from home.

My buddy and neighbor Yitzchok Meir (Isaac Shiraz), founder of The Jewish Unity Project and Thank Israeli Soldiers, created this video, showing the rare and unusually large amount of snowfall in Jerusalem this morning.

Jerusalem Snow Day 2013 from Y Meir Malek on Vimeo.

Here's the comment I left...
Cute and well-done video, with great message. But, I'm a SUN Diegan with snow-phobia and tanorexia. Shabbos shopping was done yesterday, so b'li neder, I ain't leaving the house till the amount of white decreases by at least 80%.
My mother often tells me how much I would like Eilat, being so much like "home."  That's home, as in San Diego.  I like to travel.  But, after making my home in Israel over 15 years ago, I still have yet to make it down there.

My mother also reminds me how affected I was in the dark of winter, even during the mild, San Diego winters.

I now make my home in Jerusalem, but not for the weather.   I make my home in Jerusalem, for the people, the atmosphere, and the outlook on life, which differs sharply from other parts of Israel, particularly fellow big city Tel-Aviv.

All around Israel we need the precipitation, of any kind.  I am grateful for that which we get.

Yet, in the back of my mind, there reside visions of sunny Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, the sunset sitting on the top of La Jolla Cove, and the relaxing, dry heat of the California-Arizona Dessert, not to mention the number , the number 80, the number of days left from today until the official start of spring.

As I often explain to people, I make my home in Jerusalem, but not because of the weather.

As the saying goes, "אין כמו ירשלים"

There is nothing like Jerusalem!

תהילים פרק קמז

יב  שַׁבְּחִי יְרוּשָׁלִַם, אֶת-יְהוָה;    הַלְלִי אֱלֹהַיִךְ צִיּוֹן.
יג  כִּי-חִזַּק, בְּרִיחֵי שְׁעָרָיִךְ;    בֵּרַךְ בָּנַיִךְ בְּקִרְבֵּךְ.
יד  הַשָּׂם-גְּבוּלֵךְ שָׁלוֹם;    חֵלֶב חִטִּים, יַשְׂבִּיעֵךְ.
טו  הַשֹּׁלֵחַ אִמְרָתוֹ אָרֶץ;    עַד-מְהֵרָה, יָרוּץ דְּבָרוֹ.
טז  הַנֹּתֵן שֶׁלֶג כַּצָּמֶר;    כְּפוֹר, כָּאֵפֶר יְפַזֵּר.
יז  מַשְׁלִיךְ קַרְחוֹ כְפִתִּים;    לִפְנֵי קָרָתוֹ, מִי יַעֲמֹד.
יח  יִשְׁלַח דְּבָרוֹ וְיַמְסֵם;    יַשֵּׁב רוּחוֹ, יִזְּלוּ-מָיִם.
יט  מַגִּיד דְּבָרָו לְיַעֲקֹב;    חֻקָּיו וּמִשְׁפָּטָיו, לְיִשְׂרָאֵל.
כ  לֹא עָשָׂה כֵן, לְכָל-גּוֹי--    וּמִשְׁפָּטִים בַּל-יְדָעוּם:
הַלְלוּ-יָהּ.
Psalms 147
12 Glorify the LORD, O Jerusalem; praise thy God, O Zion.
13 For He has made strong the bars of your gates; He has blessed your children within thee.
14 He makes your borders peace; He gives you in plenty the fat of wheat.
15 He sends out His commandment upon earth; His word runs very swiftly.
16 He gives snow like wool; He scatters the hoar-frost like ashes.
17 He casts forth His ice like crumbs; who can stand before His cold?
18 He sends forth His word, and melts them; He causes His wind to blow, and the waters to flow.
19 He declares His word to Ya'aqov, His statutes and His ordinances to Yisra'el.
20 He has not dealt so with any nation; and as for His ordinances, they have not known them. Hallelujah.

*********

*Tanorexia - The belief that one is never tan enough; the need to be tan in order to feel right, complete, or accepted by others.

No comments:

You Might Also Like...